JERR BLOGS TOO!

Saturday, April 17, 2010

A "ranty" post ...

I belong to a gaming community and blogs were recently introduced as an option in their forums. Someone took it upon herself to write about ebooks, and she is making it all sound like everything is "wonderful". As most of you know, epublishing these days is not exactly "wonderful", particularly as it pertains to those of us who have been reading in ebook formats for a long time. Anyway, I dared mention a couple of issues and was slapped on the hand by the blogger in question because she doesn't want to open a can of worms. Suffice it to say, I deleted my post. I can't link to the blog because those forums and everything in them are members-only and closely monitored by the admins (the place is run as a "benevolent dictatorship" and too PC at times for their own good).

I think it is very irresponsible to go around tooting the wonders of ebooks, presenting it as an "all is rosy" kind of thing, when in reality, there are quite a few issues and the market is ever changing. A lot of these people with the "everything is wonderful mindset" now will be the same people that will say "If I had known, I would have never adopted ebooks!" or go around complaining about their losing their investment (which has already happened to many of us veterans).

The person in question, of course, has only been reading in ebook formats since December 2009 this year, and of course, a Kindle is what she has.

It's going to prove very interesting to see what she thinks in a few more months. However, I am not participating in her "sunny, wonderful" blog at all. Let her continue giving half-assed information to others. It's her blog after all.

--end of rant--

0 comments: