JERR BLOGS TOO!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

In Memory of Marcy Arbitman

Today I received the very sad news that one of our reviewers, Marcy Arbitman, passed away on the evening of May 6, 2010. I am in tears, though I never had the chance to meet her in person. Marcy was one of our most enthusiastic and dedicated reviewers. She truly loved to read, and she had a passion for erotic romance that never waned.

Marcy was diagnosed several months ago with thyroid cancer. Her health had not been good for starters, and at one point she even needed to take a long term break from JERR. I have to say that she came back to review with a vengeance and she broke her own personal record in the turning in of reviews for each issue of the newsletter. She was forced to stop reviewing about 3-4 months ago, and asked me if she could just hang out with us in our reviewer group. That's how much she liked to be part of JERR.

Though my personal story with Marcy was a bit shaky at one point, once she learned about the cancer and told me, we had a chance to interact a bit more at a personal level via Facebook. I learned that she and I shared very similar political views, and that she cared for the environment like I do.

I am truly saddened by these news, I am shocked as well, despite the fact that I knew what she had been facing and dealing with, and she is going to be missed by all of us at JERR.

Rest in Peace, dear Marcy. You will always be in our hearts.


Mireya and the JERR team

5 comments:

Kate said...

I am so sad to hear the news about Marcy. Though I didn't know her personally, we corresponded a few times and she seemed like such a nice person. She always had such encouraging things to say whenever she reviewed one of my books and I always appreciated her comments. She even pushed me a time or two to finish up a series I was writing as she was getting impatient for the next book. That always made me smile. God bless you Marcy, you really will be missed.

Kimber Chin said...

Marcy was one of my fave romance reading buddies. We bonded over our love and support of new romance authors and have been emailing reco's back and forth for years (and personal stuff too, of course).

It is truly a loss for the romance community and for this author (and friend) in particular.

Mireya said...

Thank you Kate and Kimber. Even though we knew what she was facing, it still took us by surprise.

Our next issue of the newsletter (due out on June 6) will be a tribute issue in memory of Marcy. I would like to use your comments for it, unless you wish to send us something to use in the special issue.

Mimi Riser said...

I'm so very sorry to hear this news. I only knew Marcy through her reviews, but it was easy to see her vibrant spirit, an enthusiasm for life, in the enthusiasm she displayed for the books she read. She seemed a lady with a big heart. May her spirit shine on and be happy.

My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

Ashlyn Chase said...

I'm sorry to hear that too. I know she reviewed my books and was always accurate and fair. I really appreciate great reviewers. She will be missed.

Ash